Saturday, July 01, 2006

Transportation Systems

I was driving back to hometown yesterday evening. Making exit at Alor Setar Utara toll of the PLUS highway, I headed to the bus station to drop a friend.

It has always been very distressing to me to get to there from the toll. For a distance of merely 4 kilometers, there are 7 traffic light stops. Even more upsetting, they don’t work in sync that it was as if there is one devilish monster behind the scene that makes you stop at every of them. There is definitely no existence of any AI elements and certainly lack of human intelligence in traffic planning. From the "Bandar Raya’s" bus station back to Jitra, I had to go through at least another 10 traffic lights for a distance of around 15 kilometers. I bet you will at least stop at at least 7 or 8 of them, helplessly watching the next traffic light turning green without any cars utilizing the time of green.

I don’t feel like labeling this as dumbness. But I think it’s near. Was it lack of exposure to the better world outside? Was it simply laziness towards in-depth analysis? Or was it just under-developed technical comprehension? I do not know. What I know is I go to the LHDN every year without knowing what I am paying for.

I am one of the fans of the group of traffic lights at the main road at Greenland Penang that it will gracefully let vehicles on the main road to get thru the lights at once with no expense at those coming out from the side. Brilliant idea to coop with the massive traffic. Shame on Kedah government.

Shout, Kedah Maju 2010. But I am sorry.

*************************************
Not very far from Northern Malaysia, a dazzling engineering masterpiece of transportation is unveiled and utterly outshone what we have here.

I am not a pro-China oversea Chinese. But I wish to pay tribute to this bold and aspirated engineering artwork, tagging sturdy human civilization and progression of the Chinese people. The Tibetians and Chinese took only 5 years to realize this dream. One year ahead of the schedule. Salute to the 1100-km Tibetian Railways.

And who is moved to take a ride on this?

Pic1
Pic2
Pic3
Pic4
Pic5

*************************************

It has been months after the tug-of-war-like announcement of the Second Penang Bridge and the Light Railway System.

Minister of Transportation: The tenders are still under scrutiny.

For which one costs most?