Friday, February 29, 2008

We need more Gandhis, but there is another way if we do not have one

In this Friday chilly morning, in the office near Kampung Jawa, I forfeit my time from digging deep into the application notes on IQ measurement methods and make painstaking measurements to answer the question from a customer, I forfeit my chance not to be pursued by big bosses for the answers later today and I forfeit my gratification on an unforeseen surge of inner peace: to write about my sentiments as the greatly anticipated Olympic-year Malaysian election on 三八 women’s day is getting closer and scratchier.

Please understand me for being pro-Mahathir for I am from Jitra. Please understand me for being pro-Mahathir because I did not see so much chaotic moments when he was on the throne. Please understand me for being pro-Mahathir because he is a convicing figure that has the ability to bring us up while keeping the political climate under control.

I think, whether a country can be successful or not depends on whether they have the capability to churn out a smart and charismatic leader.

For a country that corruption is still poignant and lingering, a smart and charismatic leader has a different definition from a country that has transparent and checked leadership and mechanism. In this type of country, the leader has to fight gluttony and greed with certain amount of risk management against unsullied and noble aspiration to become a leader that has genuine love of its people and country. Too many times, olden times tell us that people are animals that tend to fail the battle inside out. Surrendering to hideous human nature and forgoing dirt-free political ambitions to feed and enrich their families and allies by taking benefits, whether forgiven by their own big heart or not, from other clans.

We do not have many Mahatma Gandhis in this world. In fact, we have many Mahatma Gandhi-wannabes that will hopelessly surrender to filthy notes at the eleventh hour before making their decisions. We have even more Suhartos. To find an uncontaminated jewel among the human clan in this world is probably one of the most difficult tasks.

An easier path is to have our own country’s running mechanism checked. At this point of time, it’s not about petrol price hike and blaming it. It’s not about how much they embezzled and how to take them to the court. It’s about how much you can do to help your own country.




I, listening to Annie Lennox's Big Sky in total tranquility, on this 29th of February, praying for the country's prosperity amid its complexity, understand that there is no way out other than PLURALITY.